The Space

Installation Art_ In Door

20120509 The Space 51-나는 돌/Naneun Dol 2012 KAIST

나는 돌 Naneun Dol; I meet with stone.

20120509 by Kim Soonim

나는 돌 Naneun Dol_Seoul 2012 - The Space 51

500 stones from Seoul and Incheon, variable installation in KAIST Seoul, 2012

‘나는 돌’은 내가 돌이요, 또 돌이 난다는 중의적 이름이다.

2003년 1월 이후 안산에서부터 ‘어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이-I meet with stone’, 일명 Stone Project 가 시작되었다. 이후 매일 매 번은 아니어도, 새로운 장소를 갈 때, 그 곳의 돌들을 만난 것이 벌써 9년이 조금 넘었다. 그곳의 돌, 그 곳을 이름 없고, 인간에 의한 존재인식 없이 공간에 공존하던 그 돌들을 누군가 기억하여, 특별한 돌이 되게 하기 위한 작업이었는데.. 사람을 만나는 것과 다르지 않는 경험이었다. 그사이 각 공간에서 관객과 만나는 과정에서, 많은 사람들이 이 예쁘지도 특별하지도 않고, 상처 많은 돌들에 자신의 희망을 담는 모습을 목격하였다. 오래 전부터 DNA로 내려온 습관인지, 본능인지, 신앙인지 모르나, 전시장에서 누군가에 의해 기억된 돌들은 사람의 마음에 사람처럼 와 닿았나 보다.

길을 위의, 내가 모르는, 알려지지 않은, 아직은 나에게 이름 없는 이 돌들은, 이 길 위에 서 있는 나 자신의 모습 같기도 하다.

‘I meet with stone.’ has a dual meaning wich signifies that I am a stone, and at the same time, the stone is me.

‘I meet with stone’ or so called the Stone Project was initiated from Ansan, since January 2003. Although it was not every day or every time, whenever I visit new places and I realize that  10 years have passed since I first paid close attention to stones on the street. This project aimed to demonstrate that the stones that were without names and once had not been recognized can be actually remembered as special stones. This was not so different experience as special stones.  This was not so different experience as meeting new people. From every corner of the exhibition, I realized that many visitors actually showed genuine interestes toward these not so pretty, un-special, and scratched stones, perhaps, for them, emotional attachments whether they were originated from our ancestral DNA, habits, instincts, or religions, these stones may had been brought up similar emotions as human’s hearts.

Stones on the street, wich I do not know, which are unkonw, which are unknown, and which  yet do not have names to me, one just like myself, who is standing on the same street.    2012. 5.9 from artist note

20120509나는돌_01.jpg

20120509나는돌_02.jpg

20120509나는돌_03.jpg

20120509나는돌_04.jpg

20120509나는돌_05.jpg