The Space

Installation Art_ In Door

20120302 The space48- Tea with Lao-tzu ; , Noon, Suwon, Korea,

Tea with Lao-tzu ; The space 48, Noon, Suwon, Korea, 2012

Installation materials: Tea cups, water, seeds, paper, light

20120302space48_01.jpg

When I couldnt focus while in my workroom or wanted to gather up my mind, I would transcribe Lao-tzus 

Tao Te Ching in the method of copying a drawing.

It was a way of chasing away distractions and emptying the words, rather than studying them.

For the past year, after drinking tea in the workroom, I have gathered the cold leftover tea in an inkstone

and written with it little by little on pieces of paper lying around, as if I was writing a diary.

So that the sacred words become the substance that they are meant to be and not paper and ink, I put

seeds and seedlings together into the tea cup and watered them, making tea with the words of Lao-tzu.

My work is to have the sprouts nourished by the characters infused in this way come together with

meanings, not as characters but as things, in the spring month of March.

Letters are letters, and without the act of watering and caring, they are nothing more than traces on dry

paper; the great and powerful letters said to kill people are, without the will of a person, nothing more than

dirt and nourishment to a tiny sprouted seed.

20120302space48_02.jpg

작업실에서 집중이 안되거나 마음을 다잡을 때, 나는 따라 그리기의 방식으로 김용옥교수 번역본 노자를 필사하였다 필사라는 단어가 부끄러울 만큼 잡념을 쫓기 위한 도구로, 내용을 공부하기 위함이 아닌 내용을 비우기 위한 행위였다. 그러기에노자는 글을 쓰거나 번역한 이에게 미안하지 않을법한 내용을 가지고 있다.

작업실에서 마시고 남아, 차갑게 식은 차를 벼루에 모으고, 그 물로 주변에 흔히 있는 A4용지에 매일 일기를 쓰듯 날짜와 함께 지난 일년 간 조금씩 써나갔다.

이 거룩한 말을 그 뜻이 가리키는 대로, 종이가 아닌 내용만이 남을 수 있도록,찻잔에 씨앗과 함께 다시 넣고, 물을 부어, 老子(노자)의 말로 차를 만든다. 그 안에서 녹아 내린 글자들에게서 얻은 양분으로 발아한 씨앗들이 3월의 봄에, 문자가 아닌 물()로 의()를 전시공간에서 만나도록 하는 설치작업이다.

문자는 문자일 뿐, 물주고 가꾸는 행위가 없이는 단지 건조한 종이 위의 흔적일 뿐이다.

사람도 죽인다던 그 대단한 문자들은 사람의 의지 없이는 하나의 작은 발아된 씨앗에게 그저 땅과 양분일 뿐이다.