The Space

Installation Art_ In Door

2017 The Space77- Memory of Space _ Gujing China 광저우 구징비엔날레 중국

Gujing Biennale Nature & Art

Memory of Space _ The Space77- Gujing 2017

2017Memory_01.jpg
Installation work by Kim Soonim

objects from old school's yard, feathers, cotton threads, 2017

A space always transforms itself naturally. This process is just like nature. I encountered a creative space in Gujing which emerged from an old school. Pieces of the school were strewn around the grounds, piling their own human story upon the earth. The earth took them in, and so did I. I brought them into this creative space. Now, they float together in full view for us to remind again.

空间的回忆

空间总是会自然地改变自己。这个过程就像大自然一样。我在古井里遇到了一个来自旧学校的创意空间。散落学校地上的碎片,就是记忆着他们自己的故事。地球接纳了他们,我也是。我把他们带进了这个创造性的空间。现在,它们一起浮在我们眼前,让我们再次回忆一下。

공간의 기억_ The Space77 - 구징 중국

가변설치, 오래된 폐교의 뜰에서 주운 오브제들, 무명실, 2017

(2017구징비엔날레 자연과 미술 전 출품작)

공간은 자연스레 변화한다. 그 과정이 얼마나 '자연'스러운가. 2017 지금 창작공간으로 변화하는 구징(중국 광저우)의 폐교를 만났다. 다시 태어날 준비하는 이곳의 바닥에는 많은 과거의 흔적들이 쌓여 있다. 학교시절의 오브제들이 땅에 쌓여있고 그위에 또 풀들이 자라고 또 길을 만들고, 또 다른 것들이 쌓여진다. 아마도 그 아래에는 더 오래된 기억들이 쌓여 있겠지. 이곳의 사람들의 이야기들이 이렇게 땅에 쌓인다. 땅은 또 이들을 품는다. 나도 이들 몇을 교실로 옮겨 함께 날게 한다. 땅으로 돌아가 잊혀 질 수 도 있지만, 작가를 만난 이들은 잠시 이 공간에 머물러 부유하며, 이 공간에 숨쉬던 기억을 소환한다. 

2017Memory_02.jpg

The Memory of Space, Gujing 2017

Spaces naturally change. But how ‘natural’ is this process? In 2017, I encountered a closed-down school being transformed into a creative space in Gujing (Guangzhou, China). Many traces of the past were piled on the floor of this place, which was being prepared for recreational use. Objects and materials from the building’s previous life were strewn all over, with grass growing here and there. Paths were created and other things began to pile up. Older memories are probably stacked underneath. In this way, the stories of people from this region have accumulated on the ground. The earth embraces them. I move some of them to a classroom so that they can fly together. They may be forgotten upon their return to the earth, but when encountered by the artist they remain and float in this space for a while, recalling the memories that used to breathe therein.

2017Memory_03.jpg

2017Memory_04.jpg

2017Memory_05.jpg