Critic

비평 Critic

2008_The Community of Destiny/Memory1 -By Chan-Eung Park(박찬응)

The Community of Destiny/Memory1

? The Commune of the Stones Rolled Along from Somewhere

Chan-Eung Park

Representative

Supplement Space Stone & Water

Ring-ring-ring

Stone and Water, how may I help you?

Hi, could you remember me? This is Soon-im.

Yes? Oh, Soon-im, who meets with stone3?

I met her again under the Manan Bridge after five years. Although Sammak Stream was revealing its dried-up channels, there were pussy willows, the herald of spring, boasting their furry buds all over the place. Although smaller than the Sungnyemun, the Manan Bridge was showing off its unchanged golden figure.

It was exactly five years ago when I had first met Soon-im. At that time, dozens of artists working around the Hope Market, the art market held at the playground area in front of Hongik University, were busily dropping by Seoksoo Market in Anyang to prepare for the New Hope exhibition, held from February 15th to March 15th, 2003. With small figure, she was carrying a backpack and wearing a thick jacket and red gloves. I brought her to Sammak Stream, a branch of Anyang Stream, where the Mannan Bridge was located. The beautiful stone bridge was built in 1795 by the order of King Jeong Jo. For a while, hanging around under the bridge, she continuously picked up something. While taking some pictures from a distance, I could observe her work closely. It looked like she was having a private conversation with the ordinary stones she picked up.

I guess the conversation might be:

Hey, where are you from?

I was born thousands of years ago in the side of Mountain Gwanak and lived as a huge rock. And since one day, hit by a rainstorm, I have fallen and rolled down the stream and become this small. Several years ago, I settled down here under the Manan Bridge and met new friends. By the way, who are you?

The stones she encountered were neither beautiful nor special. However, she went through a ritual every time she meets those rather normal stones, celebrating their special encounter. After softly grasping the stone, she cleaned it, gently stroked it, recorded when and where she met it, put it in the backpack and moved to the gallery. Those stones, introduced to the people at the special place with special lighting, were in a commotion surprised at the new encounters. Sometimes, they were sold during the exhibition period through new encounters. Since then, for five years, she has met more stones during her travel and let them move into her studio. (It can be said it is the International Residency Project for Stones.) The long-term residents of her studio include the stones she encountered at the Han River, the alleys of Shinchon, the Geum River in Gongju, the streets of Fukushima and Tokyo, the fields of Vermont in US and roads around certain cities, unknown mountains and rivers.

In 2008, when spring is around the corner, the festival of stones is said to be held in their own language, joined by the stones from Jangan Gate in Suwon. (in their language in which they dont have to pronounce the word orange exactly like [rind] )4. Will they divide themselves by their hometown and compete? Would stones from the Manan Bridge pull rank on the late comers and boast their power? Or would stones from the Jangan Gate try to defend their territory by stressing that it is their hometown? I hope that a happening could be invented where sentiment of common rhythm, or cooperation, is created between existing and new stones, without struggle.

[Something in common or a community is not what the principal body and the others should pursue and construct. It is rather a process of total change brought by the participations of all. Through this process, the chronic division between the principal body and the others loses its meaning. They are just different components, which participate in invention and organization of the community. What combines them together is not the idea of commonness but the sentiment of common rhythm or cooperation and its happening.]

From Chapter 6. Communism5 and Others ? for the Community of Happenings (by Jin-Seok Choi)

Declaration of Communism (by Byung-Kwon Koh, Jin-Kyung Lee / Kyoyangin)

인연의 공동체 -어디서 굴러먹던 돌맹이들의 코뮨(commune)

박 찬 응 (보충대리공간 스톤엔워터 대표)

“따르릉”

“스톤앤워터입니다”

“기억하시겠어요? 저 순임이예요.

“예...?  ! 순임씨! 어디서 굴러먹던...

그녀를 5년 만에 다시 만안교 아래에서 만났다삼막천은 메마른 바닥을 그대로 드러내고 있었지만 주변에선 봄을 알리는 전령사 버들강아지가 한 아름 털북숭이를 튀어내고 있었다. 만안교는 숭례문보다 작고 왜소했지만 변함없는 황금빛 자태를 드러내고 있었다.

그녀를 처음 만난 건 5년 전 바로 이맘때이다. 홍익대 앞 놀이터를 중심으로 활동하던 중저가 미술시장 ‘희망시장’ 작가들이 안양의 석수시장에서 '새로운 희망(2003.2.15-3.15)을 준비 하면서 수십 명의 작가들이 부리나케 석수시장을 찾아들던 때다. 그녀는 작은 체구에 두터운 잠바를 입고 배낭을 메고 빨간색 장갑을 끼고 있었다. 난 그녀를 안양천의 지류인 삼막천으로 인도했다. 삼막천에는 1795년 정조 대왕의 명에 의해 축조되었다는 아름다운 돌다리 만안교가 있는 곳이다. 그녀는 오랫동안 만안교 아래를 어슬렁거리며 무언가를 줍고 있었다. 난 멀리서 몇 장의 사진을 찍다가 가까이에서 그녀의 작업을 지켜 볼 수 있었다. 그녀는 그저 그런 돌멩이들을 주어들고 이런 저런 속말을 주고받는 듯 보였다.

"넌 어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이냐?"

“나는, 관악산 중턱에 큰 바위로 태어나 수천 년을 살다가 어느 날 큰 비바람에 갈라져 아래로 아래로 구루며 작아져 수년 전 여기 만안교 밑에서 새로운 친구들을 만나 터 잡아 살고 있다. 그런데 넌 누구냐?" 이런 대화들이 오고 갔을 것이라 짐작해 본다.

그녀가 만나는 돌들이 특별히 예쁘거나 특별하지 않았다. 그저 그런 돌들인데 그녀는 매순간 특별한 만남을 의미하는 행사를 치른다두 손으로 포근히 감싸 안아 닦고 어루만지다가 돌멩이를 만난 날자와 장소를 기록해서 배낭에 넣어 전시장으로 옮겼다. 특별한 장소와 특별한 조명을 통해 사람들에게 공개된 돌멩이들이 새로운 만남에 놀라 웅성거린다. 더러는 전시 기간 중에 또 다른 인연과 만남을 통해 팔려가기도 했다. 그녀는 그 이후로 5년 동안 이곳저곳을 여행 하며 만난 돌들을 자신의 작업실에 입주시켰다. (일러 '돌멩이들의 국제 레지던시 프로젝트'이라 할만하다)한강변, 신촌골목, 공주 금강주변, 후쿠시마나 도쿄거리, 미국 버몬트에 있는 들판과 이름 모를 도시 골목길이나 산길, 물길에서 만난 돌멩이들이 그녀의 작업장에 장기 입주해 있다.

2008, 새로운 봄이 오는 길목에서 수원 장안문에 있는 돌들을 만나 그들만의 언어로 축제를 벌인다고 한다. '와글와글' (오렌지를 오릔지라고 발음하지 않아도 되는 그들만의언어로 말이다)

굳이 박힌 돌과 굴러온 돌들이 스스로를 구별하여 만안교 밑에서 처음 입주한 돌들이 토박이 돌이라 위세를 부릴까? 혹은 장안문의 돌들이 수원이라는 지역성을 강조하여 텃세를 부릴까?

2003년 만안교에서 2008년 수원 장안문까지박힌 돌과 굴러온 돌 사이에 인과 관계는 사라지고 ‘협-조라는 공통 리듬의 감각’이 움직이는 ‘사건’이 발명되기를 기대해본다.

[공통적인 것, 공동체는 주체와 타자가 지향하고 건설해야할 무엇이 아니라 거기에 참여함으로써 모두 함께 변화하는 과정의 다름 아닌 것이다. 이로써 주체와 타자를 갈라놓는 고질적인 이분법이 의미를 상실한다. 그들은 공통성의 창안과 구성에 참여하는 서로 다른 성분들이며, 그들을 함께 묶어 주는 것은 동일성의 이데아가 아니라 협-조라는 공통 리듬의 감각, 그것의'사건'이다.]

코뮌주의 선언(병권,이진경외 지음. 출판, 교양인) '6장 코뮨주의와 타자-사건의 공동체를 위하여(최진석)'중에서

*만안교는 본래 안양대교에서 동쪽으로 안양유원지 길을 따라가다 만안로와 서로 만나는 十자 교차로에서 북쪽으로 약 20m 지점에 있었다. 그 후 1973년 7월 10 유형문화재 제38호로 지정, 관리되어 오다가 1980년 도시화로 현재의 위치인 석수2동으로 복원, 이전하였다. 안양을 대표하는 문화재의 하나로, 조선 후기의 대표적인 홍예석교(虹霓石橋)이기도 하다. 이 다리의 축조는 조선 제22대 임금으로 효심이 지극했던 정조(正祖)(1776~1800)의 명에 의해 1795(정조19)가설되었다.