Critic

비평 Critic

Ethereal: extremely light and delicate; heavenly by Gim Jong-gil(김종길)

Ethereal: extremely light and delicate; heavenly

-       A few thoughts on aesthetic ether in Kim Soon-im’s art

By Gim Jong-gil (Art Critic)

1. Extreme symbolic words  

Kim Soon-im’s artistic pilgrimage has been recorded in her solo shows. Her work’s artistic fragrance, radiated

through her pilgrimage, is sensed in the subjects of her solo exhibitions: The Ethereal Space (2007); The Unknown F

ace of God (2007); I meet with stone (2008); Ethereal (2008); The Thread, the Memory (2009), The Forest of Strayer (

2010); and Mind Space (2011). Of these subjects ‘Ethereal’ draws special attention. The word ‘ethereal’ means

extremely light and delicate, and heavenly. An artist’s work cannot be defined in a single word.

If an ‘ethereal body’ can be called an ‘ether body’, and ‘ethereal space’ can be called ‘ether space’, the meaning of a ‘medium’ lending life to material form can be applied to ‘ethereal’. The medium brings life to space as a material form. The medium refers to the space surrounding a work of art or the space where a work of art is placed, and indirectly to an artist. Kim’s aesthetic attitude was presented at her first solo show. Kim is like a shaman as a medium. In this sense ‘the ethereal space’ is the womb of birth, old age, sickness and death where a work of art comes into being, is displayed, deconstructed, and disappears, and ‘ethereal’ is an extreme symbolic word a work of birth and death carries.

2. Sublime aesthetic metaphors

In 2011 Kim Soon-im participated in the OCI Museum of Art artist-in-residence program. Her work for the program

is a continuation of Ethereal. While joining several domestic and overseas artist-in residence programs, she has lived

a nomadic life for a few years. In her work physical places and spaces have incessantly changed as she freely

planned projects and explored different subjects. Kim is amazingly well adapted to changing her places of work. The

most salient work Kim showed through the residency program is the ‘studio-space’ itself. Like an artist who has

worked for several decades in the space, she sprouts ‘temporality of space’. This ‘temporality’ is parasitic in the way

mushrooms parasitize rotten trees. The artist herself becomes an ‘ethereal body’ or ‘ethereal space’. Character

drawing transcribing the text of Laozi’s Tao Te Ching, faces produced in wool felting, work traces including charcoal

drawings and body modeling show how she addresses her time. I think her ‘ethereal body’ and ‘ethereal space’ can

be compared with trees and nature. This can be formalized as the following:

Nature: ethereal space: studio / tree; ethereal body: artwork (or artist)

Her body is the body of a tree. Temporality of thinking becomes the branches of a tree. Small and large twigs are

placed on the walls of a studio. Covered like ivy, they are sublime aesthetic metaphors.

3. A lark with a concept  

Where is ‘ethereal’ as an aesthetic metaphor born? I think this derives from ‘a lark’. What is ‘a lark’? It is ‘doing’ in

‘doing art’. ‘Doing’ means ‘doing something’ and ‘something’ here depends on the seed of imagination. ‘Doing’ also

means ‘a game or a play’ as a process. Kim’s lark is a game playing with imagination.

Kim I met at her studio is constant. Her artistic attitude seemed to be maintained through ‘relationships with others’.

I felt myself as ‘some person’ in such a relationship, not as a viewer. I also felt I was absorbed into her time. To

become a clown or a shaman may mean to become an artist. Kim begins her work after setting a stage for a game

in her studio.

‘Doing art’ does not pursue any concrete result or some physical property. ‘Doing art’ is just for itself. It may bring

about unexpected results. At this point we can ask what art is. I consider this related to a lark or a game. This may

be a game with or without concepts. An indigenous attribute of art lies in this lark.

4. Seems to be existent and non-existent

Lee remembers a day when her mother changed her bedding as a young child. She recalls cotton and cotton cloth.

Lee also remembers wool bedclothes that offered her warmth when she stayed in an overseas artist-in residence. Lee

produces her work in the way of her grandmother and mother: stitching that allows her to look at herself. Lee gives

birth to her family members, those who she has met during her travels, and those who she has met in dreams.

Made of cotton, cotton cloth, and wool, they seem to be existent and non-existent.

The worlds of people (faces), stones, needles, twigs, and thread are extremely light and vulnerable. The worlds were real but are now recorded in memories. The memory is a mental function working in the interior of the consciousness, based on current presence and experience. Kim enters or constructs a world of memories as if to analyze the principles and nature of memories. I would like to call her aesthetic ether a ‘philosophy of memories’. As ‘reviving an individual’ can be seen from the perspective of a struggle for memories, we may call an artist’ memories of an individual incident a ‘symbolic struggle’. If so, we can read Kim’s philosophy of memories as a symbolic struggle. We cal also extract the concepts of the memory, subject, image, and similarity from these philosophical roots.

“Each represented face is extremely individual and universal. I work with those I have met during the process of my growth. As they resemble someone, they remind viewers of someone they know. In other words, they are those whose names I remember, and simultaneously those who can soothe someone’s heart by being someone for them.”

ethereal : 지극히 가볍고 여린 ; 천상의

- 김순임 예술의 미학적 에테르(ether)에 관한 몇 가지 사유(思惟)

김종길 | 미술평론가

1. 지극한 상징언어

그의 작가적 순례는 오롯이 개인전에 새겨져있다. 개인전의 주제는 순례의 여정에서 꽃 피운 예술적 향취일 터다. “The Ethereal

Space”(07), “알려지지 않은 신의 얼굴”(07), “I meet with stone-어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이”(08), “Ethereal”(08), “The Thread,

The Memory”(09), “The Forest of Strayer”(10), “Mind Space”(11). 그 중 나는 “Ethereal”에 주목한다. 그 뜻은 이렇다. 지극

히 가볍고 여린 ; 천상의.

하나의 뜻이 한 작가의 세계 전체를 관통하기는 어렵다. 그 어려움에 진리가 있다. 김순임의 세계도 마찬가지다. 그러나 “ethereal

body”를 에테르체(體)라 하듯이 첫 개인전 “The Ethereal Space”를 에테르간(間)이라 부를 수 있다면, “단순한 물질적 형태로서의

육체에 생명을 부여하는 영자(靈姿:영적 자태) 또는 생명체”의 의미를 그대로 전유할 수 있을 것이다. 즉, 물질적 형태로서의 공간에

생명을 부여하는 영자가 바로 그것. 영자는 작품보다 작품을 둘러싼 공간이나 작품이 설치된 공간에 더 적합하고, 간접적으로는 작가

를 가리킨다. 그러니 그의 미학적 태도는 이미 첫 개인전에서 제시되었다고 볼 수 있지 않을까. 바꿔 말하면 그는 영자의 태도를 가진

영매(靈媒. shaman)와 다르지 않다. 그 이듬해의 “Ethereal”은 영매의 육체를 감추고 영매의 미학적 짓거리를 은유로 드러내는 변

화의 큰 마디이면서 지속이다. 이렇게 볼 때, “The Ethereal Space”는 작품이 탄생하고 설치되고 전시되고 해체되고 사라지는 생로

병사의 자궁이고, “Ethereal”은 생멸(生滅)의 작품에 깃든 지극한 상징언어라 할 수 있을 것이다.

2. 숭고한 미학적 은유

2012년, OCI미술관 레지던시 프로그램에 참여한 김순임의 작업은 “Ethereal”의 ‘지속’에서 읽힌다. 국내외 레지던시에 참여해 온

그는 수 년 간 유목적 삶에 처했다. 그래서 작품 기획이나 프로젝트 기획, 주제 탐색을 위한 목적성과 무관하게 물리적 장소와 공간은

쉼 없이 변화할 수밖에 없었다. 예술적 둥지의 변화를 ‘자리바꿈’이라 한다면, 그는 이 자리바꿈의 변화에 놀라울 정도로 잘 적응했던

것이다. 이번 레지던시에서 그가 보여준 최대의 작품도 ‘작업실-공간’ 그 자체일 것이다. 그는 마치 그 공간에서 십 수 년을 수행해 온

작가인양 ‘공간의 시간성’을 무수히 싹틔웠다. 썩은 나무에 기생하는 수십 수백의 버섯처럼 ‘시간성’은 하나가 아니라 여럿으로 기생했

다. 그는 그 공간에서 스스로 에테르체이자 에테르간이 되었다. 노자 『도덕경』을 옮겨 적은 문자 드로잉이나 울펠팅으로 제작한 얼

굴들, 목탄 드로잉과 인체 모델링 그 외 숱한 작업의 흔적들은 그가 그의 시간을 어떻게 다루고 있는지를 가늠케 한다. 나는 그의 에테

르체와 에테르간을 나무와 자연에 비유할 수 있다고 생각한다. 그것을 구도화하면 다음과 같다.

[자연 : 에테르간 : 작업실 공간 / 나무 : 에테르체 : 작품(혹은 작가)]

그의 몸은 나무의 몸이다. 사유의 시간성은 나무의 가지다. 크고 작은 가지들의 마디마디가 작업실이라는 공간에 붙어있다. 담쟁이덩

굴처럼 붙어서 그것들은 숭고한 미학적 은유가 된다.

3. 개념의 짓거리

덩굴의 뿌리마다 붙어 있는 미학적 은유로서의 “Ethereal”은 어디에서 탄생하는 것일까? 나는 그것을 ‘짓거리’에서 보았다. 짓거리

는 또 무엇인가? 미술하기의 ‘~하기’를 말한다. ‘~하기’는 “무엇무엇하기”로 읽는데, 이때 무엇무엇이란 상상의 씨알에 근거한다. 그

리고 ‘하기’는 과정으로서의 놀이/놀음을 뜻한다. 상상의 씨알을 굴리는 놀이/놀음이 김순임의 짓거리란 얘기.

작업실에서 만난 김순임은 끊임이 없었다. 차를 따르고 과일을 준비하는 ‘만남의 관계성’에서 조차 그는 예술가의 태도를 지속했다. 그

의 작업실에서 ‘나’는 관객이 아니라 포섭된 관계망의 ‘어떤 인물’처럼 느껴졌다. 어느 순간 나 또한 그의 시간성으로 쏙 빨려 들어간 느

낌이랄까. 쟁이든 꾼이든 광대나 무당이 된다는 것은 총체적 예술가가 되는 것을 말한다. ‘짓거리’를 할 정도의 수준에 올랐다는 것은

‘~하기’를 이끌 수 있는 수준에 이르렀다는 것. 그는 놀이/놀음의 판을 작업실에 구축한 뒤 작업을 시작했다.

‘미술하기’는 ‘품’이라는 결과물을 목적으로 하지 않는다. 그것이 어떤 물성이어야 하는 이유도 하등 관계가 없다. ‘미술하기’는 오직 ‘~

하기’를 위해 존재할 뿐이다. 그러다가 간혹 어떤 결과물이 나올 수도 있겠지만, 반드시 그럴 필요는 없단 얘기. 여기서 잠깐, 그렇다면

미술은 무엇인가, 라는 질문이 생긴다. 분명히 ‘~하기’라면 ‘미술하기’의 ‘미술’이 무엇이냐는 것. 나는 그것이 바로 ‘짓’, ‘놀이/놀음’과

관계있다고 본다. 미술은 짓거리 즉 놀이/놀음이다. 개념 없는 짓거리일 수 있고, 개념 있는 놀이일 수 있다. 개념의 안팎을 에두르면서

놀아나는 그 짓거리야 말로 미술의 고유한 본래적 속성이 아닐까? 김순임의 작품들은 바로 거기에 있다.

4. 있는 듯하고 없는 듯하다

그는 어린 시절 어머니께서 목화솜 이불의 호청 갈던 날을 기억한다. 그 기억에서 솜과 광목을 생각해 냈다. 또한 그는 매우 추웠던 해

외 레지던시에서 따듯하고 부드러운 기억을 만들어준 양털을 기억한다. 그 기억에서 양털을 생각해 냈다. 그런 다음 그는 할머니와 어

머니의 방식으로 작품을 만들었다. 스스로에게 침잠하여 오래도록 자신을 바라보게 하는 바느질이 그것이다. 바느질로 가족이나 여행

중에 만난 사람들, 꿈에서 만난 사람들을 탄생시켰다. 무채색의 솜, 광목, 양털로 제작한 그들은 있는 듯 없는 듯 존재한다.

사람들(얼굴들), 돌멩이들, 바늘들, 나뭇가지들, 실들의 세계는 지극히 가볍고 여리다. 그 세계는 실재였으나 기억에 기명된 세계이기

에 그렇다. 기억은 현존과 체험이라는 두 가지 원리로 의식의 안쪽에 생성되는 정신 기능이다. 김순임은 기억의 원리와 본질을 따지듯

한 땀 한 땀 그 세계로 진입하고 구성했다. 하여, 나는 그의 미학적 에테르를 ‘기억의 철학’이라 부르고 싶다. 사회적 사건에서의 ‘개인

주체 살리기’를 기억투쟁의 관점에서 볼 수 있듯이 우리는 개인의 사건에서 발생하는 한 예술가의 기억을 철학적 관점에서 ‘상징투

쟁’이라 부를 수 있을 것이다. 그렇다면 우리는 김순임의 기억의 철학을 상징투쟁으로 읽을 수 있을 것이다. 그리고 그 철학적 뿌리에

서 다시 기억, 주체, 탈자태(탈영자), 이미지, 유사성의 개념들을 추출할 수 있지 않을까?

“재현된 사람들의 얼굴은 지극히 개인적이면서도 보편적이다. 나는 나의 성장과정에서 또는 여행 중에 만난 사람들을 대상으로 작업

했다. 하지만 그들의 모습은 다른 누군가를 닮아 있어서 보는 이들로 그들의 누군가를 연상시킨다. 다시 말해 나에게 기억된 이름을 가

진 사람들이지만, 동시에 누군가의 어떤 이가 되어 그들의 마음을 어루만져줄 수 있는 얼굴들이다.”