Critic

비평 Critic

Weaving Stones with stones by Alice Kok

Weaving Space with stones

Korean Kim Soon-ims artist-in-residence exhibition Mind Space at the Ox Warehouse

By Alice Kok

Invited by the Ox Warehouse to be an artist-in-residence, Korean artist Kim Soon-im has arrived in Macau for one month and has been preparing her solo exhibition at the Ox Warehouse gallery for March. For the exhibition of Mind Space, Kim Soonim has collected more than 200 pieces of stones from Mong-Ha hill at the back of the Ox Warehouse in order to create an installation at the gallery.

In fact, for the past eight years, Kim Soonim has been collecting stones for installation works from many different places in Korea, America and Europe for a project entitled I meet with Stones. For her, stones carry their own memories. And they are like people whom she encounters.

They talk to me about the places they come from. She says. In Macau, the stones I find are often mixed with concrete or are broken. They have lots of stories to tell. In this way, Kim Soonim invites us to ponder our urbanized stones from Mong-ha Hill, now suspended urbanized stones from Mong-ha Hill, now suspended by straight lines of cotton threads from the ceiling of the gallery, in front window which leads to the place where they came from.

As a sculptor, Kim Soonim works with forms and space and she is gifted with the skills and spirit of a weaver. Cotton and wool fall into her hands and are transformed into pieces of thread, fabric and sculptures installed delicately in a specific architectural or open-air space. Everything is made by touch, she says. I love the material and the texture.

Brought up in the mountain countryside of South Korea, Kim Soonims sensitivity towards nature has developed into a body of artistic expressions involving raw materials such as stones, cotton, wool.

I use hot water to boil the wool and then press the water out. This creates masses of wool on which I create portraits through needle works. The portraits are the people whom I have encountered. Showing the wool portrait sculpture that she has brought From Korea to Macau, she says, This is my grandmother. I drew her face from memory and then I used a needle to sculpt on the woolen-ball.

Cosidering the delicate methods that Kim Soonim use to create her installation pieces, it is all the more impressive and touching to appreciate the powerful scenes of her installations, which often involve large numbers of stones and masses of cotton. In the simple statement of I Meet with Stones, the artist brings nature as a witness of her journey, embracing every detail of life as it is. Every time she collects a stone, she puts hercamera on the very spot where she finds it, and takes an image from it, showing what appears to be the vision of the stone just before she picks it up. In some of her previous installations, she has let visitors choose a stone and if they are able to find the corresponding image from its original location, they can take it home and start their own encounter with the stone.

In Macau, Kim Soonim has chosen to use cotton thread to lift the stones from the ground. Uplifting the raw material from the earth to the Mind Space, the suspending stones create a field of shapes and space for contemplation. The holistic approach of Kim Soonim in her research on spaces is not only physical, but also spiritual and most of all perhaps, environmental.

I love to touch natures elements, especially stones. Before I bring them to the gallery, nobody pays much attention to them, but when I put them in an installation space, people watch and love to see them. It is a way to let people find out why they like them perhaps, she smiles.

Weaving Space with Stones

Korean Kim Soonim’s artist in residence /

exhibition ‘Mind Space’ at the Ox Ware House

By Alice Kok   (Artist, a freelance writer)

From Monthly Macau Closer Mar. 2011

옥스웨어하우스의 레지던시 프로그램에 초청되어 마카오에 도착한 한국인 작가 순임 이곳에서 3월에 열릴 개인전을 준비 중이다. 김순임 그동안 <마인드스페이스>전의 설치작업을 위해 옥스웨어하우스 뒤편에 위치한 몽하 언덕에서 200개가 넘는 돌멩이를 채집해 왔다.

사실 김순임에게 돌멩이를 줍는 행위는 새로운 것이 아니다. 그녀는어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이라는 프로젝트의 설치작업을 위해 지난 8년간 한국, 미국과 유럽의 여러 장소에서 돌멩이를 모아왔다. 그녀에게 돌이란 것은 각자 자신의 기억을 간직하고 있고, 또한 그녀가 마주치는 사람들과도 흡사하다.

그녀는 이렇게 말한다. “돌은 자기가 어디에서 왔는지에 대해 이야기해 준답니다. 마카오에서 제가 발견한 돌멩이 중에는 콩크리트와 엉켜있거나 깨진 것들이 많아요. 거기에는 수많은 이야기들이 담겨 있죠.”

돌멩이들은 이제 창문을 통해 보이는 그들이 처음 발견되었던 장소를 배경으로 미술관 천장으로부터 수직을 이루며 면실 끝에 매달려 있다. 김순임 이와 같은 방식으로 몽하 언덕에서 우리들의 도시화된 돌들에 대해 곰곰이 생각해 보도록 권유하고 있다.

김순임 조각가로서 형태와 공간을 다루는 동시에 방직공의 기술과 정신으로 작업하는 작가이다. 무명과 양모는 그녀의 손을 통해 특정한 건축공간 또는 실외공간에 정교하게 설치된 , 그리고 조각물로 변신한다.

모든 것은 손길을 통해서 만들어지죠.” 그녀는 말한다. “저는 재료와 질감을 아주 좋아해요.”

한국의 산골에서 자라난 김순임 특유의 자연적 감수성으로 인해 , 무명, 양모 가공되지 않은 재료를 이용한 일련의 예술적 표현을 발전시킬 있었다.

저는 끓는 물에 양모를 삶은 다음에 물을 짜버립니다. 이렇게 하면 양모 덩어리들이 만들어지는데 저는 거기에 바느질을 해서 얼굴상을 만든답니다. 제가 만드는 얼굴들은 제가 마주친 적이 있는 사람들의 것이에요.” 한국에서 가져온 양모로 만든 얼굴상을 보여주면서 그녀는 말한다. “이건 할머니에요. 기억을 되살려서 할머니 얼굴을 그린 다음에 양모 덩어리에 바느질을 해서 얼굴상을 만들어냈죠.”

김순임 섬세한 방식으로 설치작업을 하지만 완성된 작품은 대개 엄청난 규모의 돌멩이와 덩어리를 이용한 강렬한 광경으로 깊은 인상과 감동을 안겨 준다. ‘어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이라는 투박한 표현이 시사하듯이 그녀는 자연을 자신의 여정에 대한 목격자로 여기면서 삶의 가장 작은 부분까지도 있는 그대로 받아들이는 태도를 보인다. 그녀는 돌멩이를 채집할 때마다 그것이 발견된 바로 자리에 카메라를 갖다 놓고 돌멩이로 보여지는 이미지를 촬영한 후에야 그것을 줍는다. 과거 몇몇 전시에서 그녀는 관객에게 돌을 하나 고르라고 , 그것이 원래 발견되었던 장소에서 촬영한 이미지를 맞추면 돌을 집에 가져가도 좋다고 적이 있다. 그렇게 함으로써 그녀는 관객 스스로 돌과의 조우를 시작하기를 바랬던 것이다.

마카오에서 김순임 선택한 방법은 면실을 사용해 돌멩이를 바닥에서 들어올리는 것이다. 땅으로부터마인드스페이스 들어올려진 자연의 재료인 돌멩이들은 형태들의 공간을 마련하고 사색의 기회를 제공한다. 공간에 대한 탐색에 있어 김순임 취하는 전체론적 접근법은 단지 물질적일 뿐만 아니라 영적이며, 아마 무엇보다도 환경적이라고 봐야 것이다.

저는 자연적 요소, 특히 돌멩이를 만지는 것이 좋아요. 미술관에 갖다 놓기 전에는 아무도 돌멩이 같은 것에는 관심을 갖지 않지만 그것이 설치공간에 놓여지면 사람들은 그것을 바라보고, 좋아해요. 어쩌면 사람들은 그런 기회를 통해서 자기가 돌멩이를 좋아하는지를 알게 되는지도 모르죠.” 그녀가 미소 지으며 말한다.