Critic

비평 Critic

Home+Farm 2017-2018 _wrote by Jeon Wongil

Organized by Art Space Sonahmoo‘Communication with Nature’ 
Solo Relay-Exhibition 2018-1 
Kim Soonim -Home+Farm-

Story of Life from Marts

Kim Soonim’s work, 'Home+Farm', tells about the circulation of life through food that is sold as a commodity in a large-scale supermarket, simply called ‘marts’ in Korean. Soonim started this work by her experience that her husband hesitated to eat eggs that she did not buy at such a ‘mart.’

Soonim interacts with produce from the supermarket which is priced according to its quality grade. The greenhouse she used is where the goods from the mart were put. The various vegetables and fruits taken from the market show the 'existence' of life by sprouting again amidst the overwhelming care of the artist. Kim Soonim recorded for a year the changing shapes of onions, carrots, peppers and beans. During this time, the produce was also part of the food chain for insects and birds food chain. They also germinated at different times according to their species and inherent character.

The artist tried to intervene in the food distribution system of modern society. To do so, she incorporated vegetables and grains bought from large scale, corporate markets into her artwork. She communicates with her audience through images of the market's logo and conspicuous nametags reminiscent of pricing labels, as well as through video and photographic evidence of the working and growing process. The audience sees untamed organic creatures that grow, bloom, and produce fruit of their own accord. And people meet an artist who questions the prevailing habit of singularly utilizing other life forms for the sustaining of human life.

“Everything we eat is life. Some become a part of my body by being eaten, becoming energy, and maintaining my life. ‘I’ am a life composed of these lives. Life that will be transformed into another life in time. The ecosystem made by an experimental working process in the greenhouse shows a number of ecosystems that are hidden in what we believe we eat. These systems question a fixed perception of what we label, 'food'. " -Artist’s note by Kim Soonim-
Kim Soonim's exhibition was part of a year-long project. Her themes are fresh, and current for me living in this era where production, distribution and consumption are centered on large-scale, corporate-run markets. Kim Soonim is an artist working with nature beyond the boundaries between nature and humans. Furthermore, she is more interested in the process of communicating with the inner nature of an object rather than its mere‘outer appearance’.

I am glad that I can see a new side of life which is consumed through such large distribution spaces we call ‘Marts’, in Korea. I hope that this work by Kim Soonim, who has touched the inescapable essence of nature with her heart and energy, will live within people for a long time.

-Jeon Wongil Artist, Director of Art Space Sonahmoo-

대안미술공간소나무 기획 ‘자연으로 말걸다’ 전시 릴레이 2018-1 김순임 개인전 –홈플러스 농장-

마트에서 만난 생명 이야기

김순임의 작업 ‘홈플러스 농장’은 대형마트에서 상품으로 팔리는 먹거리를 통해 생명의 순환을 이야기한다. 김순임은 마트에서 구입하지 않은 계란 먹기를 주저하는 남편을 보면서 이 작업을 시작하였다.

대형마트에 들어선 작가는 정해진 등급에 따라 가격이 매겨진 마트의 상품들과 만난다. 마트의 매대에서 선택된 상품들이 다시 자리를 잡은 곳은 온실이다. 마트의 각종 채소와 과일들은 작가의 지극한 보살핌 속에 다시 싹을 틔워 생명의 ‘있음’을 보여준다. 김순임은 먹을거리였던 양파, 당근, 고추, 콩 등이 다시 자라나는 생김새, 벌레, 곤충과 새의 먹이사슬, 종류에 따라 다른 발아 시기 등을 일 년간 기록하였다.

현대사회의 유통 시스템에 엉뚱한 개입을 시도한 작가는 미술현장으로 마트의 채소와 곡물들을 초대하였다. 그는 마트의 상호를 이용한 로고 이미지와 상품라벨을 연상시키는 표식 그리고 제작과 자라는 과정을 기록한 영상과 사진 등을 통해 관객과 만난다. 관객들은 싹을 틔워 자라고 꽃을 피워 결실하는 생명체들을 본다. 그리고 인간의 삶을 위해 다른 생명을 수단으로 삼는 일방적인 시각에 의문부호를 붙이는 작가를 만난다.

“우리가 먹는 모든 것은 생명이다. 어떤 생명은 먹히는 행위로 내 몸의 일부가 되고, 동력이 되고, '나'를 유지시킨다. '나'라는 생명도 이 생명들로 구성된 생명이다. 시간 속에서 또 다른 생명으로 변환될 생명. 
온실 속의 실험으로 보여진 생태계는 우리가 믿는 '먹을 것' 속에 숨은 수많은 생태계를 보여준다. 그리고 우리가 가진 '먹을 것'의 고정된 이미지에 질문한다.“ 김순임 작가노트

김순임의 전시는 대형마트 중심으로 생산, 유통, 소비되는 이 시대를 살고 있는 나에게 새삼 새로웠던 일 년간의 프로젝트였다. 김순임은 어디서고 자연과 인간사이의 경계를 넘어 주저함 없이 자연과의 작업에 몰입한다. ‘겉보임’ 보다는 대상과 교감하는 과정에 더욱 마음을 쓰는 작가이다. 
나는 마트라는 유통공간에서 무심하게 소비되는 생명을 그의 작업을 통해 볼 수 있었음을 기쁘게 생각한다. 자연의 생명을 마음으로 담아낸 김순임 작가의 이번 작업이 사람들 속에 오랫동안 살아있기를 바란다. 

전원길 작가, 대안미술공간소나무 전시감독

31143734_1881362368562482_5332413897306080019_n.jpg

31144000_1881361975229188_5445589873989249387_n.jpg

31284248_1881589901873062_7577873509480082323_n.jpg

photo by Jeon Wongil