Critic

비평 Critic

Na Neun Dol; I Meet with Stone by Sora Jung(정소라/curator)

Creating a Meaning of Existence trough Relationships and Memories.

“When I called his name, he came to me and become a flower.”

This is a well-known line from a famous poem, “Flower” written by Kim, Choon-Soo. This Poem beautifully portrayed a message that I alone may be independently imperfect. By having a relationship with one another, however, one’s true being can only be found. KAIST Research & Art’s third exhibition of this year <Na Neun Dol; I Meet with Stone> was made of Kim Soonim’s art works. Her works posed ontological questions such as relationships with others and I, and the subjects and the world. This exhibition carried photos from the artist’s diverse works, namely from the 51th installation work of her mostly well recognized piece, ‘I Meet with Stone’, the masterpiece of which lasted for 9 years since 2003, to works from her projects that were held in both domestic and foreign countries.

The mostly well-known piece, ‘I Meet with Stone’ captured many stones and pebbles from the artist’s journey, and depicted sceneries from the perspectives of those stones. This project started from Anyang, in January of 2003. On the surface of the each pebble, time and place where the stones were first collected were recorded. Some of these stones may have been once located at Man-Angyo, Bookahyun Jaegaebal area, and others may have been from unknown streets in Japan and the US. Stones on the street await for the artist’s warm touch to be drawn to other place and expect new beginnings. Kim Soonim portrayed pebbles as objects that were once drafting anonymously without their names, but later they are recognized and remembered as special beings. By showing this change, the artists gave us a moment to ponder about profound meanings of true relationship, connection, existence.

Like this, the artist Kim Soonim succinctly presented a relationship between the subjects and the world through characteristics of a natural object without any fancy elaboration or decoration. Objects do not exist by themselves, but ultimately find their meanings through perceptions that were shaped by human’s physical body. Hence, the work which interestingly depicted how we, that is ‘being-in-the-world’ can grab ontological meaning reminds of a poem, “Flower”. We obviously are very special. When we are remembered and called by others···

KAIST Research & Art

만남과 기억을 통한 존재의미의 생성

내가 그의 이름을 불러 주었을 때, 그는 나에게로 와서 꽃이 되었다.”

우리에게 너무나 잘 알려져 있는 김춘수의 시, “의 한 구절이다. 우리 자신은 스스로 독립적으로 완벽하게 존재하는 것이 아닌, 타인과의 관계 맺음을 통해 진정으로 존재하게 됨을 아름답게 표현한 시이다. 2012 KAIST Research & Art 세 번째 전시인 김순임의 <나는 돌; I Meet with Stone>은 나와 타인, 주체와 세계의 관계를 질문하는 존재론적 이야기다. 이번 전시는 작가의 대표적 프로젝트인 나는 돌 51번째 설치작업과 2003년부터 9년간 진행되어온 어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이-I Meet with Stone’, 그리고 국내외에서 이 프로젝트를 진행하면서 선보였던 설치를 담은 사진으로 구성된다.

2003 1월 안양에서 시작된 어디서 굴러먹던 돌멩이-I Meet with Stone’는 작가가 여행하면서 만나게 되는 돌멩이들과 돌멩이의 시점에서 보여지는 풍경들을 사진으로 담아 함께 보여주는 프로젝트이다. 돌멩이 각각에는 그 돌멩이를 만난 날짜와 장소가 기록되어 있다. 만안교, 북아현 재개발 지역, 그리고 일본과 미국의 어느 이름 모를 길 위 등등 그 어딘가에 놓였었을 돌멩이들은 작가의 따뜻한 시선에 의해 이제 장소를 옮겨 새로운 만남을 기다린다. 김순임의 돌멩이는, 이름 없이 떠도는 익명성을 지닌 사물이 그 누군가에 의해 인식되고 기억되어 특별한 존재로 변화함을 보여줌으로써 우리에게 만남과 인연, 그리고 존재의 의미를 되새기게 한다.

이처럼 사물을 지각하는 것이 주체와 세계의 일종의 만남임을, 김순임의 작업은 화려한 치장이나 꾸밈없이 자연물의 속성을 그대로 드러내어 담백하게 보여준다. 어떤 관점에서 보면, 사물은 그 자체로 존재하기보다는 인간의 신체를 기반으로 한 지각에 의해 비로소 인식되고 의미를 갖는다. 세계--존재인 우리가 어떻게 존재론적 의미를 획득할 수 있는지를 흥미롭게 보여준 김순임의 서정적 작업은 시, “을 연상시킨다. 우리는 분명 특별한 존재이다. 그 누군가에 의해 기억되고 불러졌을 때···.

KAIST Research & Art