Critic

비평 Critic

나는 돌 Na neun dol; The space 51-대전 2012 (대전시립미술관 에네르기전-김종길 평론)

나는 돌 Na neun dol; The space 51-대전 2012

Though it is difficult to define the artistic world of Kim SoonIm in a word, it would be a Kood start to call her a “pilgrim of beauty.” Kim as an artist covers a variety of fields from painting and sculpture to installation arts to photography. All the time she spends sleeping, eating and moving leads to her work and arts. She takes the very perspective of nature artists in some context and a very feministic point of view in others. Over the past 10 years, she lived to become an artist who could manifest the life and arts at the same time rather than to achieve some artistic objectives. The work prepared for the Insitu Art Project also looks familiar in that sense. Kim’s work installed at the South Gate is made of 1,779 pebble stones she picked up in Daejeon and feathers. She hung the stones and feathers with cotton threads. Objects hung in the air are often found in her works. Then, why does she hang stones among others?

World-renowned dancer and choreographer Hong, Shin-ja met with a “smiling stone” in a meditation center in India. And she danced with the “smiling stone” in New York. Even though she hadn’t trained herself to dance, her dance started based on the relation with the smiling stone. This was possible because it was not that her body controlled her dance but her dance controlled her body. Kim’s stones are “Na Neun Dol.” (*This Korean term has the two meanings: “I am a stone” and “a flying stone.”) She often met with these stones on her way to somewhere. Her approach toward stones may come from her meditation on beings. As she confesses, she recognizes her encounter with a stone as meeting with a being. The Korean title Na Neun Dol has ambiguity by meaning “I am a stone” and “a flying stone” at the same time. Her contemplation of stones somewhat resembles the Ten Cow-herding Pictures in Buddhism.

The ten steps are these. A little boy sets out to look for a cow; He sees a cow’s footsteps; He sees the cow; He gets the cow; He tames the cow; He returns home riding the cow; He forgets the cow after his returns; Both the cow and the boy forget each other; They return to the origin; And again in the world. For Kim’s work, we just need to switch the cow to the stone. I go out to look for a stone; I see the traces of a stone; I see the stone; I get the stone; I tame the stone; I come back home with the stone; I forget the stone after return; Both the stone and I forget each other; We go back to the origin; And again in the world.

We need to read the structure of “Boy vs. Cow” and “I vs. Stone.” What are a stone and a cow here? They represent the atman (ego) obsessed with desire. We set out to travel because we couldn’t see the atman. The physical containment of mind and atman is the boy and I. However, when we first set out to travel, neither the boy nor I have mind or atman, because we lost them. Hence, the young boy and I before going out to travel are ourselves before the presence of mind and atman. The meaning of “I see the cow” and “I see the stone” is “I see the mind and atman.”

Kim says, “While I touch stones and spend time with them, they tell me their stories.” At this moment, “I” and “they” become one that cannot be distinguished from each other. “They” that are omnipresent “I” are my mind and my atman. She hangs the stones hoping that they forget the heaviness of beings at least for the moment. The cow and stone who come back home forgets each other. As the mind disappears, so I do. Osho Rajneesh, an esteemed Indian guru, says, “All humans and objects are the revelation of awareness and matter is void.” When all forget one another, a mountain is just a mountain and water is just water. Thus, it is a vain effort to search a serious aesthetic concept from Kim’s stones. She raises a question to us through her work. Right here, at this moment, what will you do?

Gim JongGil(Curator of Gyeonggi Museum of Modern Art)

김순임의 세계를 마디로 정의하기는 어려우나 그를 미의 수행자라고 돌려놓으면 상이 잡힌다. 그는 회화, 조각, 설치, 사진 등의 분야를 가리지 않는다. 자고 먹고 이동하는 모든 것의 시간들이 그가 수행하는 미술이고 작품들이다. 그러므로 어떤 맥락에서는 지극히 자연미술가적인 태도를 가지고 있거나 때로는 지극히 여성주의적인 시각을 드러내기도 한다. 10 동안 그는 미술의 목표가 아니라 삶과 미술을 동시에 발현시키는 미술가가 되기 위해 살았다. 이번 현장미술프로젝트에서의 작품도 그런 연장선에서 익히 낯익은 작업이다. 남문에 설치한 김순임의 작품은 대전에서 주어 조약돌 1,779개와 깃털을 무명실로 매달아 놓은 것이다. 그의 작품들 중에는 이렇듯 무엇인가를 매달아서 설치한 작품들이 많다. 그는 돌을 매달아 놓은 것인가?

홍신자는 인도의 명상센터에서 웃는 만났다. 그는 뉴욕에서 웃는 춤을 추었다. 몸을 춤의 사위로 단련시키지 않았어도 춤사위는 웃는 돌과의 관계에서 이미 시작되었다. 몸이 춤에 있는 것이 아니라 춤이 몸에 있는 것이기에 가능했을 . 김순임의 돌은 나는 이다. 그는 그가 걷는 길에서 자주 나는 만났다. 김순임의 나는 존재에 관한 명상적 사유에서 비롯된 것이 아닐까 한다. 그의 고백에 따르면 그는 돌과의 인연을 존재와의 만남으로 인식한다. ‘나는 ()’ 날다()’ 중의적 의미를 동시에 갖는 것이다. 그의 돌의 사유는 일견 십우도(十牛圖) 닮았다. 십우도의 단계는 이렇다. 소를 찾아 나선다. 소의 발자국을 본다. 소를 본다. 소를 얻다. 소를 길들인다. 소를 타고 집에 온다. 집에 돌아와 소를 잊는다. 소도 동자도 모두 잊는다. 근원으로 돌아가다. 다시 세상에서. 소를 돌로 바꾸면 간단하다. 돌을 찾아 나선다. 돌의 흔적을 본다. 돌을 본다. 돌을 얻다. 돌을 길들인다. 돌과 더불어 집에 온다. 집에 돌아와 돌을 잊는다. 돌도 나도 모두 잊는다. 근원으로 돌아가다. 다시 세상에서.

[동자|-|] 구도를 읽자. 소와 돌은 무엇일까? 마음이다. 욕망에 사로잡힌 아상(我相)이다. 그것들이 보이지 않아서 찾아 나섰다. 마음과 아상의 존재는 동자다. 나다. 그러나 처음 길을 나섰을 때의 동자와 나는 마음도 없고 아상도 없다. 잃었으니까. 그러므로 길을 나설 때의 동자와 나는 마음이 있기 , 아상이전의 모습이다. ‘소를 본다.’ 것과 돌을 본다.’ 것의 의미는 마음/아상을 본다는 것이다. 김순임은 말한다. “손으로 돌을 만지고, 시간을 보내는 동안 돌멩이는 나에게 그들의 이야기를 한다.” 이때 나와 그들 구분될 없는 하나다. ‘ 편재된 상태로서 그들 나의 마음이며 아상일 . 그는 돌들이 순간일지라도 존재의 무게를 잊기를 바라며 매단다. 집에 돌아 소와 돌은 서로를 잊게 된다. 마음이 사라지면 나도 소멸되는 . 오쇼 라즈니쉬는 인간과 사물이 모두 의식의 발현이며, 색즉시공이라 말한다. 서로가 서로를 잊었을 , 드디어 산은 산이고 물은 물일 뿐이다. 그러니 김순임의 돌에서 너무 무거운 미학적 개념을 찾는 것은 허망하다. 그는 그의 작품으로 우리에게 묻는다. 지금 여기, 당신은 순간 무엇을 것인가?

김종길(경기도미술관. 학예사)