Critic

비평 Critic

Meanings of Personal Memory and Reminiscence Expanded:By Eunyoung Chae(채은영)

Meanings of Personal Memory and Reminiscence Expanded:

<Forest of Strayer: Space 27 - Gijang>

Forward

Before my eyes is a path trailing through a forest made of pruned off ginko and willow branches. It's like being in a Caspar David Friedrich landscape painting or being an avatar in Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." Walking down the path covered with about 6,840 black mirrors, I notice the smell of dry branches clipped off from the roadside trees of Gijang District and the stale stench of dirt coming up from the black-mirrored floor, all in a strange jumble. Cautiously, I walk along the path, partly with unease and partly with curiosity. Then I come to a bright narrow square cave. As if passing through a corridor of a cathedral to arrive at the cross, I see three large frames wrapped in cotton sheets hanging from either side, and one hanging from the inner wall, seven all together. If this were a cathedral, the sheet-covered frames would be carrying passages from the Old Testament or the New Testament, or stories about famous patrons and noblemen, but they're just hanging there, blank and indifferent. However, it is there that an encounter with someone's memory and reminiscence occurs.

"Forest of Stray Trees: Space 27 - Gijang" is the title of this exhibition by the artist Kim Soon-Im which is also linked closely with a reporting exhibition on her artist-in-residence program at OpenSpace Bae. While her previous works have been focused on the use of materials such as stones, needles, cotton and cloth and a vision of personal memory and reminiscence, works shown in this exhibition are about a spatial presence and an expansion of personal memory and reminiscence. Actually, a certain degree of ritualistic mood runs through the exhibition from the path beginning at the entrance with dried branches to the cave with sheet-covered frames. This exhibition, which must be the result of sincere and hard work at every corner by the artist, is made up of two spaces that are in contrast to each other in many ways. The contrast is between materials (trees and dirt vs. sheets), modeling of space (streamlined; nonlinear vs. linear), smell (natural vs. artificial), brightness (dark vs. bright) and experience (assertive vs. passive). But rather than positing these as binary opposites, it seems that the artist is trying to show the ambiguities and dualities of everyday life. This also implies a multi-layered spectrum of experience and memory that are both personal and collective.

In Kim's previous works, her personal aesthetic experience has persistently manifested itself through the narrative of the content. The above mentioned materials used by the artist as an important medium such as stones, cotton, needles and cloth, leave a considerable amount of room for interpretation of the works as "women's art." While feminist art has attempted to politically intervene in processes of artistic creation and appreciation in relation with society's patriarchy, women's art embodies the characteristics of women as human beings within personal and physical experiences and memories, as well as social relationships. Therefore, when we read the personal experience and memory in Kim's art in a linear mode in connection with the materials used, we are in fact establishing it as being women's art. Also, without an expansion of meanings, the personal experience and memory in her art would most likely result in a perception of her merely as a warm-hearted and sincere artist who is in touch with both nonsedentary humanism and naturalism.

At the risk of disclosing a spoiler on the exhibition, the dim silhouette showing through a sheet-covered frame in a corner of the second space is Kim's paternal grandmother. Actually, a paternal grandmother does not exist in the artist's personal experience or memory, for she passed away long ago when Kim's father was still a child. Nevertheless, the artist has revealed an image of her grandmother "passively," and even a faint sense of existence is enough to lead us to imagine something. Images from personal reminiscence take on diverse public images as well as presences of locations in time and space. According to Henri Bergson, collective and historical memory actually only provides a collecting of facts, while reminiscence via personal appropriation is more subjective. But Maurice Halbwachs considers individual images of the past as nothing but insufficient and fragmented symbols of collective memory. As such, there is a certain double-sidedness to personal memory and reminiscence.

When attempting a reading of Kim's work with personal memory and reminiscence, one needs to take a close look at the more minute textures. Conveyed through conventional codification, collective cultural memory privatizes and activates the past. As Hegel has said, memory as an elevated reminiscence in the symbolic stage merely reveals tendencies, rather than characteristics of a specific time period. Kim's work lets us experience the conflict of meanings in personal memory and reminiscence in combination with the duality of space. Although she has said that the viewers need not be made aware of the existence of her grandmother, it can't be denied that an image of something exists still. By experiencing space through their own movement, the viewers are faced with countless personal memories and reminiscences. In the way that Bergson has pointed out the importance of reminiscence via personal appropriation, this is in contrast with modern habitual memory.

It was a month ago that I heard you are not of the "new generation" if you aren't familiar with the 3 ah's: i phone (ah-ie-pon), avatars (ah-ba-ta) and Idols (ah-ie-dol). More recently, I came across an article on economics urging us to take part in the opening of a "new era" led by the social networkings through tweeter and facebook. While the advancement of modern technological media has taken the direction of aiding human memory and reminiscence, paradoxically, a loss of memory and reminiscence has occurred, replaced by an overflow of typified and commercialized uses of them. This is quite similar to how personal memory and reminiscence are operated within modern art. And this is why I welcome the attempt by the artist Soon-Im Kim in this exhibition to expand the meanings of personal memory and reminiscence as well as the locationality of space. The artist, who I have seen off and on for 3 years, is a person I can readily describe as "sincere and hard-working," unlike some of the other young artists with entirely different styles and attitudes. I believe that this basic attitude of hers and her "different" approach in this exhibition to materials and the single layer of personal memory and reminiscence will provide a firm ground for her future activities.

개인적 기억과 회상의 의미 확장 : < The Forest of Strayer : Space 27- Gijan> 서문

채은영(독립큐레이터)

눈 앞에, 가지치기로 버려진 은행나무와 버드나무의 가지들이 숲을 이룬 오솔길이 있다.

카스파 다비드 프리드리히의 풍경화 안에 들어 온 듯하고, 팀 버튼의 <이상한 나라의 앨리스>의 ‘아바타’가 된 듯 하다. 6840여개의 흑경이 깔린 길을 걸으며, 기장군의 가로수에서 잘려진 나뭇가지에서 나오는 메마른 냄새와 흑경에서 올라오는 비릿한 흙냄새가 묘하게 뒤섞인다. 약간은 불편하게 약간은 호기심을 갖고 길을 따라 조심스레 걷는다. 그렇게 가다 좁은 직사각형의 환한 공간 앞에 다다른다. 대성당 회랑을 거쳐 십자가 앞에 도달하듯, 양 옆의 3개 그리고 가운데 하나. 광목천으로 쌓인 7개의 프레임이 벽면에 걸려 있다. 대성당이었다면, 거기에는 구약이나 신약의 이야기나, 유명한 후원자와 귀족의 이야기들이 새겨져 있을 테지만, 무심하게 걸려 있을 뿐이다. 하지만, 우린 거기에 누군가의 기억과 회상을 만난다.

김순임의 이번 전시 제목은 < 길 잃은 나무의 숲 : Space 27- 기장>으로 오픈스페이스 배에서 진행한 레지던시 프로그램의 결과 보고전과 연결된다. 이전 작업이 돌멩이나 바늘, , 천 등의 사용과 개인적 기억과 회상에 대한 시선에 집중했다면, 이번 전시는 좀 더 공간적 현전과 함께, 개인적 기억과 회상에 대한 확장을 시도했다. 솔직히, 전시장 입구에서

마른 나뭇가지 오솔길의 공간을 지나, 광목천 프레임이 걸린 공간까지, 전시장엔 일정 부분 제의적 분위기가 존재한다. 전시 공간을 단 한 뼘도 허투루 쓰지 않고 신실하게 설치했을, 작가의 작업은 그렇게 2개의 공간이 여러 면에서 대조적이다. 그것은 소재(나무,/광목), 공간 조형(유선형,비정형/직선), 냄새(자연적/인공적), 밝기(어두움/ 밝음), 체험(적극적/소극적) 등으로 할 수 있다. 하지만, 작가는 이것을 이항대립 관계로 설정하기보다, 우리가 시시각각 마주하는 삶의 모호한 양면성으로 드러내고자 함은 아닐까 싶다. 그것은 개인적이고 집단적일 경험과 기억에 대한 다층적 스펙트럼을 상정하기도 한다.

이전까지 작업에서 작가 개인의 심미적 경험이 작업 내용의 서사를 통해 지속적으로 드러났다. 앞서 설명했듯이, 돌멩이 솜, 바늘, 천 등 작가가 주요한 매체로 사용했던 소재는 일정 부분 ‘여성적’ 예술로 해석될 여지를 가지고 있었다. 여성주의 예술이 가부장제 사회에 대해 예술 창작과 감상의 과정에서 여성주의적 태도의 정치학적 개입을 시도했다면, 여성적 예술은 여성인 인간의 특성이 개인과 신체적 경험과 기억 그리고 사회적 관계 속에 형상화 된다. 따라서 김순임의 작업이 가진 개인적 경험과 기억을 소재와 연결해 단선적으로 읽는다면, 이러한 혐의는 더욱 짙어 질 수 밖에 없다.

또한, 개인적 경험과 기억에 대한 의미 확장이 없다면, 작가는 비정주적 휴머니즘과 자연주의에 맞닿은 따스하고 성실한 작가 정도로만 여겨질 수도 있다.

전시에 대한 스포일러(Spoiler)일 듯 해 설명을 망설였는데, 두 번째 공간 한 구석에 있는 광목 프레임에 희미하게 드러난 존재는 작가의 친할머니다. 작가의 개인적 경험과 기억에는 친할머니는 없다. 오래전 아버지가 어렸을 때 돌아가셨기 때문이다. 그럼에도 불구하고, 작가는 할머니 형상을 ‘소심하게’ 드러냈고, 우리는 희미한 무엇인가의 존재감만으로도 무엇인가를 상상한다.

개인적 회상의 형상은 공공의 다양한 형상으로 시공간적 위치로 현전되는 것이다. 베르그송은 집단적이고 역사적 기억은 사실 수집만을 제공하기 때문에, 개인적 전유에 의한 회상이 좀 더 주관적으로 보았고, 마우리우스 알브바슈는 개인적 회상의 형상은 ‘오직 불충분하고 조각난 집단적 표상’으로 간주했다. 이렇듯 개인적 기억과 회상은 양면적이다.

우리가 작가의 개인적 기억과 회상에 관한 작업에 대해 읽기를 시도할 때, 기억과 회상에 대해 좀 더 면밀한 결을 살펴 볼 필요가 있다. 집단적인 문화적 기억은

관습적 코드화를 통해 전달되기 때문에, 과거를 개인적으로 사유화하고 활성화한다. 헤겔의 말처럼 기호적 단계에서 고양된 회상으로써의 기억은 시대성을 특징하기 보다, 경향을 드러낼 뿐이다. 작가의 작업은 이러한 개인적 기억과 회상이란 의미의 충돌을 공간적 양면성과 함께 경험하게 한다. 작가는 할머니의 존재가 관람자에게 인식되지 않아도 된다고 했지만, 여전히 무엇인가의 형상은 존재한다. 관람자는 공간의 이동과 경험을 통해 무수한 개인적 기억과 회상과 마주한다. 그것은 베르그송이 개인적 전유에 의한 회상의 중요성을 이야기 했듯, 현대의 습관적 기억과 대비된다.

한 달 전까진 3I(아이폰, 아바타, 아이돌)를 모르면 신세대가 아니라는 말이 있었는데, 얼마전부터 트위터와 페이스북의 소셜네트워킹이 '새로운‘ 시대를 열고 있음에 동참할 것을 재촉받는 경제 기사를 읽었다. 현대 기술매체의 발달은 인간의 기억과 회상을 도와 주는 것으로 진행했지만, 역설적이게도 그러한 기억과 회상의 상실로 돌아왔고 정형화되고 상업적인 기억과 회상의 사용만 가득하다. 현대미술에서의 개인적 기억과 회상이 작동하는 방식도 크게 다르지 않다. 그래서, 작가 김순임이 이번 전시를 통해 개인적 기억과 회상과 공간의 장소성에 대한 의미를 확장하려는 시도는 반갑다. 3여년 동안 느슨하게 만난 작가는 일부 젊은 작가들의 스타일과 태도와 달리, 신실하다는 표현이 잘 어울리는 사람이다. 이러한 ’기본적‘ 태도가 이전 작업에서의 소재와 개인적 기억과 회상의 단선적 층위에 대한 이번 전시의 ’다른‘시도가 향후 활동에 든든한 기반이 될 것이라 믿는다.